Fun Dog Facts
1. Dogs can be trained to detect epileptic seizures
2. Obesity is the #1 health problem among dogs
3. A one year old dog is as mature, physically, as a 15 year old human
4. 87% of dog owners say their dog curls up beside them or at their feet while they watch T.V.
5. A dog’s smell is more than 100,000 times stronger than that of a human’s
6. A dog’s heart beats up to 120 times per minute, or 50% faster than the average human heartbeat of 80 times per minute
7. The average doodle lives 10-15 years
8. Many foot disorders in dogs are simply an issue of long toenails
9. Puppies are born deaf, blind and toothless
10. Most Doodles and Poodles Love water
11. Labradoodles originated from Australia
12. The only sweat glands a dog has are between the paw pads.
13. Chocolate contains a substance known as theobromine, which can kill dogs or make them violently ill.
14. Dogs don’t like rain because the sound is amplified and hurts their very sensitive ears.
15. Puppies get a full mouth of permanent teeth between four and seven months old.
16. Most dogs don’t like to be left alone so they howl. Leave the radio or television on to keep your dog company when you are away.
17. A dog is a true friend, and one you can be certain will never talk about you, no matter what you do.
18. Walt Disney’s family dog was named Lady. She was a poodle.
19. Labrador Retrievers were originally bred to retrieve fishing nets. They are athletic and love to swim, play catch and retrieve games, are good with young children, elderly, and for protection
20. Originally bred as a type of water dog, the poodle is skillful in many dog sports, including agility, obedience, tracking, and even herding.
21. A female carries her young about 60-63 days before the puppies are born.
22. Raisins and grapes in large quantities can be lethal to dogs.
23. No matter how good that guacamole is looking don’t feed it to your dogs. Avocados contain a substance called persin. In large amounts may be toxic to dogs.
24. Milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset as well as set them up for food allergies. Most adult dogs are lactose intolerant.
25. Dogs love slices of apples, oranges, bananas, and watermelon they make for a very tasty treat!
26. Did you know your 2 year old dog is 24 years old in human years!
27. Oleander plants have a high toxicity rating to dogs. Even small amounts can kill.
28. Your dog can have a fresh healthy snack of green beans, carrot sticks and some slices of zucchini.
29. Did you know your 5 year old dog is 36 years old in dog years!
30. Did you know most Poodles, Labradoodles, and Goldendoodles will only misbehave due to boredom or not enough mental exercise. Give them a job to do!
31. Some Poodles, Labradoodles and Goldendoodles are so smart they learn how to unlatch gates and open doors!
32. Golden Retrievers were originally breed as gun dogs they were used to retrieve ducks and upland game they were named retriever as they were able to bring back the game undamaged.
33. Did you know Momma dogs clean up after their puppies? Meaning they eat their stool. From the time puppies are born until they start eating real dog food! Its true they all do it. This is a natural behavior to keep pups and their area clean.
34. Poodles life expectancy is 12-15 years on average